Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Vaccinations

Larry and I have been back and forth since before the boys were born as to when we should have them vaccinated. We both are not against having them vaccinated, I just feel that the vaccination schedule from birh to 24 months is insane. I know that there are no proven studies that vaccinations cause autism, but if you were to look at the number of vaccinations that were given in 1980 to the nuber that are given now and compare it to the increase in autism it really makes you wonder.

I went to our peditrician before I had the twins and expressed my concerns about not having them vaccinated right away, if at all. I was told that it would not be a problem and they we respect our decision. Well, at our 4 month visit we were told that if we chose to not vaccinate them soon that our Doctor will not continue to treat our kids.

Where are the patients rights?

I am having a hard time finding a doctor who will work with us. I heard recently that vaccinations account for almost if not 50% of pediatrics business???????? That is insane.

We don't live in a third world country and Yes I am greatful that crazy disease don't run rampant in our country, but I should have some simple rights without the big drug companies stepping in.

Colin, Larry and I have never had the flu vaccine and we have never gotten sick. Parents in Maryland were threated to go to jail if they did not have their children vaccinated for the flu.

Autism rates are so high these day 1:150 average with 1:>100 in New Jersey. I am just being cautious. Our nephew is Autistic and I would rather deal with a bout of chicken pox or a week of the flu than a lifetime of autism...

2 comments:

Larry G said...

Actually, I have had a flu shot... and it gave me the damn flu! It was the WORST!!!

DannyO said...

So, on the one hand, there's this whole "my son isn't like the other kids" thing.

And, on the other, there's this whole "I have learned so much more about myself and communicating with my son BECAUASE of his Autism" thing. And this second thing is a very real thing.

I don't know if it was a vaccine that caused Blaze's Autism, but it feels like it may have been a contributing factor.

Still, Blaze's Autism is a part of who Blaze is. It isn't a hard thing to deal with, and it isn't a bad thing to deal with. It's a parenting thing to deal with.

And when I got the flu vaccine, I came down with the mumps. Go figure.

My YouTube Channel