Wednesday, April 29, 2009

it's oficial



As i sat in the doctors office with a sonogram wand inside me, (the most logical place a wand could go in this situation), two babies in a stroller looking for crackers, and my doctor trying to find the egg. All of a sudden this popped up on the screen. Before my dr. could even say anything i yelled "Holy Shit, No Way!"

and this is how the rest of the conversation went
Dr: You saw that
Me: UH Yeah there are two eggs there
Me: Are you kidding me
Brief pause so i can call Larry who was trying to get there,
Me: Does this happen
Me: Is this normal
Me: Holy Shit (a few more times)
Dr: Well we have never seen this in my office
Babies: Still calling for crackers

As it turnes out, I had all the cards stacked against me, and this is what I found:

"You, your mother, or her mother's mother is a fraternal twin".GRANDMA "These women may carry a gene for hyperovulation," (a term here i did not like.) "which means they release more than one egg during an ovulation cycle, increasing their ability to conceive fraternal twins. The chances may be high as 1 in 17 if the mother is a fraternal twin herself."

"You've already had one set of fraternal twins." CHECK "For mothers who have already had one set of fraternal twins, their chances of conceiving another set are four times greater than the average woman, or about 1 in 12!"

So here I am, about 8 weeks pregnant, eating french onion soup and thinking about how I will soon have 4 children within 24 months. Larry and I are so happy and truly excited. We understand that we (I) won't have much of a life for the next few years and that this puts up way beyond minivan status. I will be looking at a Michigan Van as we call them here on the east coast.

As a child and growing up through the years all I ever wanted to be was a mom. I never had one job in mind that i wanted to grow up and be. All i wanted was to be a mom, someone like my mom. Someone who makes warm cookies for kids when then walk in the door on cold winter day. Someone who can teach my children how to plant vegetables and pick berries. Or someone like my dad, who even at the end of the day when I am tired I will still go out and do something special, like fishing or go to the park. Or take my kids for a long hike even while teaching importance life lessons, like yes if you fall off the cliff it could kill you but it is still ok to look down, there is a lot to see down there.

Thank you mom and dad you are both amazing people and I am so blessed to have been raised by you both. Knowing that I have been given the knowledge to succeed in my life I know that I will be able to catch the challenge put in front of me this coming year and succeed with flying colors and some really cool kids too...

4 comments:

Gretchen said...

I dropped a few "f" bombs when you told me!!
I think if anyone in our family was going to have two sets of twins, you would be the most patient and loving (on the east coast of course)!
I'm still on the lookout for the quad stroller. I know they are here, i just have to find them.
congrats again!!!! Let darrell know when you need to put an addition on the house, we are there to help.

Chiara said...

Oh, MY GOODNESS!! That is the most exciting (and yet frightening!) news I have heard in a LONG time. Congratulations, Nellie! I hope your pregnancy goes smoothly, and that you are able to enjoy your time with just 2 toddlers!!!! I can barely handle one!

You will do great; and it's great that you have such a great support system nearby!

What wonderful news!

Love, Chiara (and James, who said,
"Well, of course! I even knew that she would be more likely to have twins again!")
p.s. Michigan vans are great for camping, hauling things around (like quadruple strollers), AND carting your 5 kids from place to place!

♥Caroline♥ said...

WOW!!!! Congrats!!!! I don't know what i would have done. Were you wanting to get pregnant? It's very exciting.

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful tribute to your parents....You must be a great mom. MaryEllen {Vicky`s friend}

My YouTube Channel